All of my Exploring Europe Tours include a very good travel insurance coverage plan at no additional cost. See what is included free of charge here. We’ve included insurance coverage once your tour begins. This basic insurance covers many facets of your travels such as emergency medical treatment, flight or baggage delay, medical evacuation, and more. However, it does not cover any pre-existing condition(s) you have before going on tour. For many of our travelers, this may be all they need.
If you desire coverage that includes canceling a tour before it begins, covering a pre-existing condition, or canceling your tour for any reason, you’ll need to look into purchasing a package that insures these aspects of your travel. To take full advantage of the insurance and to cover pre-existing medical conditions, a policy such as this must be purchased within 10 days of making your first payment or deposit toward your trip.
I believe Comprehensive Travel Insurance (that includes trip cancellation coverage) becomes increasingly necessary with age. If you are a strapping 20 year old with no medical problems, then perhaps you can skip the comprehensive insurance and tour cancellation feature. However, if you are a "Baby Boomer" or older, it might not be a bad idea to add a little "peace of mind" to your travels by purchasing comprehensive insurance.
Comprehensive Travel Insurance includes at least six types of coverage:
- Trip Cancellation - Provides reimbursement in the event you, or a close family member, are not able to travel for a covered reason. Covered reasons vary from insurance company to company, but most include full reimbursement if you or a direct family member become seriously ill or injured, you lose your job, you or a family member die, and many other reasons (read the fine print).
- Trip interruption - Provides a limited amount (usually $1000) to pay for a flight home should your tour be interrupted by a catastrophic event affecting you personally or a close family member.
- Emergency Medical Coverage - Provides reimbursement and/or medical evacuation should you or a close relative become seriously ill while traveling abroad.
- Baggage Loss or Delay - Provides reimbursement should your luggage be lost or delayed.
- Trip Delay - Provides reimbursement should you be delayed while traveling to or from your tour abroad. This covers cases such missed flight connections, weather delays, etc.
- Travel Assistance - Provides 24/7 access to toll-free help and assistance agents dedicated to help with travel emergencies, bookings, and advice.
The cost of Comprehensive Insurance is determined by a sliding scale based on the insured's age, cost of the trip, and duration of travel. Normally it is about 10%-15% of the tour costs, but shop around for the best deal that will meet your needs.
I personally use and recommend Seven Corners as my exclusive provider for tour and travel insurance. I've included their information below as well as a convenient link to purchase comprehensive travel insurance for an Exploring Europe tour. Before purchasing comprehensive insurance, be sure to add all the tour elements so that you are fully covered. See examples below.
- David McGuffin's Exploring Europe tour cost.
- The cost of your airfare.
- Pre and post tour travels.
- The duration of your trip from the time you take off from home until your return.
Seven Corners Comprehensive Travel Insurance must be purchased within TWENTY DAYS of putting down a deposit for your tour to take advantage of all the policy benefits, most especially for pre-existing conditions. All the insurance companies have slightly different policies on this matter so be sure to read the fine print.
You can purchase your comprehensive insurance package before your departure date, by following this interactive link below.
- This link will take you to the Seven Corners HOMEPAGE.
- Once there, select "I need coverage outside the USA." Then select "Less than a year." Then select "Trip Cancellation" and "Resident of the USA."
- I suggest "Roundtrip Elite" because it provides more benefits for your buck.
- Select QUICK QUOTE - complete the information and purchase your policy directly.
ROUND TRIP ECONOMY may meet many needs but for a few more dollars, RoundTrip Elite is a better bargain.
ROUND TRIP ELITE provides for a higher level of coverage, covers pre-existing conditions and includes an option to include "cancel for any reason."
Additional companies that specialize in travel insurance are listed below.
Travel Guard- www.travelguard.com, tel. 800-826-4919
Access America- www.accessamerica.com, tel. 866-807-3982
Travel Insured International- www.travelinsured.com, tel. 800-243-3174.
Insuremytrip.com- www.insuremytrip.com, tel. 800-487-4722
Also allows you to compare insurance policies and costs among various providers.