Updated: January 20, 2023
When booking an Exploring Europe tour, we only request a small refundable deposit to hold your seat. We do not require, nor want, any payment until about 60 days before your departure. Consequently, you’ll not need to be concerned with purchasing travel insurance until the final payment is submitted and your tour is confirmed.
If purchasing flights, be sure to confirm the airline’s cancellation and refund policies. In this era of COVID-19 and travel restrictions, many airlines will refund your fare if travel is not possible. Others will provide a travel credit to be used at a future date.
Exploring Europe does not offer travel insurance for your tour. However, we recommend you purchase a comprehensive travel insurance policy on your own.
A comprehensive travel insurance package often includes canceling a tour before it begins, covering a pre-existing condition, and canceling your tour for any reason, along with flight delay, baggage loss, and other benefits. To take full advantage of the insurance and to cover pre-existing medical conditions, a policy such as this must be purchased within 10-20 days of making your deposit toward your trip. This “window of opportunity” varies from one insurance company to another, so be sure to confirm with your insurance provider.
I believe a Comprehensive Travel Insurance Policy (one which includes trip cancellation coverage) becomes increasingly necessary with age. If you are a strapping 20-year-old with no medical problems, then perhaps you can skip the comprehensive insurance and tour cancellation feature. However, if you are getting older, or if you, a family member, or a travel partner, have medical problems, it might not be a bad idea to add a little “peace of mind” to your travels by purchasing comprehensive insurance.
Comprehensive Travel Insurance includes at least six types of coverage:
- Trip Cancellation – provides reimbursement in the event you, or a close family member, are not able to travel for a covered reason. Covered reasons vary from insurance company to company, but most include full reimbursement if you or a direct family member become seriously ill or injured, you lose your job, you or a family member die, and many other reasons (read the fine print).
- Trip interruption – Provides a limited amount (usually $1000) to pay for a flight home should your tour be interrupted by a catastrophic event affecting you personally or a close family member.
- Emergency Medical Coverage – Provides reimbursement and/or medical evacuation should you or a close relative become seriously ill while traveling abroad.
- Baggage Loss or Delay – Provides reimbursement should your luggage be lost or delayed.
- Trip Delay – Provides reimbursement should you be delayed while traveling to or from your tour abroad. This covers cases such as missed flight connections, weather delays, etc.
- Travel Assistance – Provides 24/7 access to toll-free help and assistance agents dedicated to helping with travel emergencies, bookings, and advice.
The cost of Comprehensive Insurance is determined by a sliding scale based on the insured’s age, cost of the trip, and the duration of travel. Normally it is about 10%-15% of the tour costs but shop around for the best deal that will meet your needs.
I personally use and recommend Trip Insurance Consultants as my insurance provider for tour and travel insurance. I’ve included their information below. Before purchasing comprehensive insurance, be sure to add all the tour elements so that you are fully covered.
- David McGuffin’s Exploring Europe tour cost.
- The cost of your airfare.
- The duration of your trip from the time you take off from home until your return.
Comprehensive Travel Insurance plans must be purchased within 10-20 DAYS of paying for your tour to take advantage of all the policy benefits, especially for pre-existing conditions. All the insurance companies have slightly different policies on this matter so be sure to read the fine print.
Trip Insurance Consultants – https://www.tripinsuranceconsultants.com/mcguffin
VISIT THE WEBSITE ABOVE OR EMAIL – LYNETTE REMPEL DIRECTLY, Tell her you are on one of my tours. She will need the following information. email@example.com
- Your date of Birth,
- The State in which you reside,
- Your travel dates,
- The total cost of your trip (adding all the elements mentioned above),
- The date you made your initial payment for the tour.
Trip Insurance Consultants offers insurance plans from all of the companies mentioned below. However, should you wish to contact them directly, here is the information.
Travel Guard- www.travelguard.com, tel. 800-826-4919
Allianz Travel insurance- www.allianztravelinsurance.com, tel. 866-884-3556
Travel Insured International- www.travelinsured.com, tel. 800-243-3174.
Seven Corners Insurance – https://www.sevencorners.com/
Insuremytrip.com- www.insuremytrip.com, tel. 800-487-4722
Also allows you to compare insurance policies and costs among various providers.